Vegetables are loved globally. One cannot simply describe how full of flavors and health benefits they are. If we closely see, more people are now adopting a veggie lifestyle.
There are many reasons behind people choosing to be a vegetarian, but mainly, it is related to one of these; Religious reasons, social values, and health concerns.
Vegetarians play a significant part in helping to save animals. Moreover, they inspire us with their healthy lifestyle.
We love veggies and their efforts, so that’s why to cherish vegetarianism; a day is dedicated to it, known to us as World Vegetarian Day.
Without any further due, let’s find out; when is it? And all the relevant information about this day and vegetables.
When is World Vegetarian Day?
World Vegetarian Day is celebrated all over the world annually on the 1st of October. The main purpose of this is to relish vegetables and value the vegetarians.
Fun Facts about Vegans:
People mostly tag vegetarians as bland personalities, which isn’t true at all.
Vegetarians and vegetarianism are very interesting. So, let’s check some interesting facts related to it.
- Vegetarianism has long been associated with the ancient cultures of India. If we see even presently, Indians account for the World’s 70% (or maybe more) vegetarian population.
- According to British research, a child’s IQ anticipates his probability of being a vegetarian as an adult. Yes, that’s right: the more intelligent the kid, the more probably he will reject meat in the future.
- Lacto-vegetarians eat dairy items, but they just don’t eat eggs.
- The US eats up meat more than almost any other nation across the globe. A typical American consumes about 100 kilograms of meat annually, and seafood is not included in this.
- Humans might not be designed to eat meat because our saliva also isn’t designed to break down animal meat. On the other hand, Carnivores have acid spit that is supposed to cut down animal flesh.
- There are some foods that you may be unaware contain animal products. Such as Jellies, Marshmallows, and more like these.
- Between 2009 and 2016, veganism expanded by 35% in the United Kingdom.
- Amongst the most captivating (and irritating) aspects of veganism is that not every wine is vegan. Look out before buying.
- You should consume 5 portions of fruit and veggies per day. One-half cup is one serving.
6 Health Benefits of Vegetarianism
We all know vegetables are loaded with benefits. If you are a vegetarian, you might have already experienced the benefits.
Let’s talk about some of the benefits of Vegetarianism on Vegetarian Day:
1. The Longevity:
A group of researchers from the USA discovered that vegetarian men live 10 years more than non-vegetarian men.
Being a vegetarian boosts six years of the average woman’s life, allowing her to live to the age of around more than 85.
2. Skin and Being Vegan:
A vegetarian diet generally entails eating fruits and vegetables instead of lactose, animal fat, and all those junk foods. Natural antioxidants can influence how your skin looks.
So being vegetarian is not only good for your well-being, but it also enhances your skin.
3. Helps with Metabolism:
Trim the fat, and organic diets boost metabolism and help with weight loss and insulin levels.
According to a study conducted by scientists, it also reduces acidity and heart burns after consuming food.
4. Reduces Cholesterol:
Vegan diets have been related to decreased cholesterol levels in various studies.
In fact, it found that vegetarian diets have been related to lower levels of cholesterol, especially in comparison to non-vegetarians.
5. Lowers the Risk of Heart disease, Cancer, and Diabetes:
It is said being vegetarian lowers your chances of encountering heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
Vegetarian diets have fiber in high amounts, which aids in the removal of excess hormones that can increase the risk of cancer, such as various types of cancers.
Plant foods may result in lower blood pressure, better, controlled weight, and a decreased risk of diabetes.
6. Good for Fertility:
Women who consume fewer vegetables in amount and a lot of processed fast food are far less likely to become pregnant.
Types of meats and dairy protein intake may be linked to lower fertility in both women and men.
Some of these can be replaced with plant-based proteins, which may improve fertility levels.
How to Observe World Vegetarian Day:
On World Vegetarian Day emerges the real vegetarian out of us. This holiday is celebrated in various ways across the globe.
We are here with some creative ideas for you to enjoy your day the best:
1. Try a New Vegetable:
The World is full of delicious and different vegetables. So why stick on only a few?
Yes, it is obvious and totally normal to have some personal favorite vegetables but in the spirit of this day, try a new vegetable.
Just pick one vegetable. It can be any except your usual ones.
It will be a new experience and taste of course (I can’t promise whether you will like the taste or not)
2. Vegetarian Day One-dish Party:
It’s a happy and healthy day; why not celebrate it with your family and friends?
You can arrange a small get-to-gather, where all of you can contribute by making a vegetarian dish.
You are supposed to cook your side of the dish, and each guest can bring one dish, but there is only one rule; the dish should be vegetarian.
What can be better than celebrating this day by sharing?
3. How About Some Kitchen Gardening?
This one is our personal favorite. Who doesn’t love gardening?
In the light of a Vegetarian day, grow your favorite vegetable on your lawn. Such as carrots, lettuce, kale, and more like these.
It is a super activity, and the satisfaction you get once you see the progress is unmatched. This will fill your day with enjoyment and productivity.
4. Visit a Vegetarian Restaurant:
As a true vegetarian foodie, you may already have many good vegetarian restaurants on the list.
To spend this day, here we have another idea for you. Search for the best restaurants that serve a vegetarian menu. You can pair up with someone or go solo.
Try their dishes, or even you can request them to give you a kitchen tour of feasible for them.
Fine dining at a vegan-friendly restaurant on this special day is a special way to enjoy it.
- Boyfriend Day Messages
- National Custodian Day (October 2, 2022)
- Mean Girls Day (October 3, 2022)
- National Do Something Nice Day (October 5, 2022)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: what percentage of the World is Vegetarian?
According to recent surveys, around 22% of the World’s population is vegetarian.
Q2: How many vegetables are there in the World?
There are 1097 vegetable species grown worldwide.
Q3: Which vegetable has the most nutrients?
The juicy, tasty green leaves known as Spinach score the best among vegetables with the most nutrients.
Q4: Does a Vegetarian diet help you Lose Weight?
Although this is not definite as weight depends on many other conditions, people who eat a vegetarian diet tend to be slimmer than those who eat a meat diet.
Q5: How many animals do Vegetarians save a year?
As we slaughter around 7.7 billion animals to eat annually. Every year, one vegetarian ends up saving over 25 Animals.
Oh boy! That’s a lot! We always knew vegetables are beneficial for society and health but never knew how it’s a great extent.
Anyhow, hope you will enjoy your day by picking up one of our ideas to celebrate this day.
October 1, 2022, may you have a wonderful World vegetarian day!
Dates of World Vegetarian Day