Waffles are nothing but love. There isn’t any better way to start a day than a plate of fresh, warm waffles.
But what if you get to eat waffles the whole day? This might be a “dream come true” for all the waffle lovers out there.
If you are one of them, you would definitely love to know more about what we are going to tell you.
A national day to celebrate by eating waffles. How does it sound to you? Delicious. Right? Keep scrolling and get to know more about it.
When is National Waffle Day?
August 24th, 2022, is National Waffle Day.
Every year on August 24th, Waffle day is celebrated in the United States. While internationally, it is celebrated on March 25th.
National Waffle Day and A Brief Insight Into The History Behind It
National waffles day is a day when we celebrate a simple invention that inspires our breakfast to a whole new level. Waffle Iron has a long history. It got its start in the 14th century.
Back then, these metal plates were heated in an open oven over a high flame and pressed elaborated images on the batter, thus giving waffles a specific design.
This invention made making it way easier.
On 24 August 1869, Cornelius Swarthout of Troy, New York, got his first waffle iron patent.
You might find two terms confusing: “International Waffles Day” and “National Waffle Day.”
National Waffle Day is when the United States celebrates it, and International Waffle Day began as a result of mispronunciation in Sweden.
Swedish people took Vårfrudagen (waffles day) as Våffeldagen (The Feast of Annunciation), which they celebrate 9 days before Christmas.
Since then, Sweden has celebrated Waffle day as International Waffle Day every year.
10 Different Ways To Try Waffles- How Do You Like Yours?
There are so wide varieties of waffles, and why not because it is a treat to experiment with.
From corn toppings to egg-covered waffles, we have brought such few variations of waffles. Try them all and let us know which one you like the most.
Big rectangular waffles with deep pockets. These are usually served with whipped cream, powdered sugar, and fruits.
These traditional waffles, unlike other waffles, are made with baking powder. The pockets on the American waffles are comparatively smaller.
Hong Kong Egg Waffles:
Often called bubble waffles, these waffles have small egg-shaped bubbles instead of traditional waffle pockets.
Just because they have Belgium in their name, it doesn’t mean that these waffles are made in Belgium. In fact, these waffles originally came from America.
Belgium waffles are pretty similar to those Brussels waffles. However, the only difference is that there is no use of yeast in it while preparing.
These toaster waffles are also famous as frozen waffles, and when you want to eat them, you just simply have to toast them in the toaster and VIOLA! Your waffles are ready!
These waffles are quite similar to Belgium and Brussels waffles. The only difference is that these are a little smaller and denser than the prior ones.
This is a crispy waffle made using a decorative waffle iron that is served with sugar sprinkled all over it.
These are like those traditional denser and thinner waffles. You can top them with cornbread or chicken, whatever you like, and turn your meal into a memorable one.
Waffle Cones are just like those ice cream cones, but in this case, the waffles are thicker, larger, and made using white sugar.
If you like caramel and waffle both, then this type of waffle is something you should try.
All you have to do is just put a thin layer of caramel in between two thin layers of waffles. And you’re done.
Some Shocking Waffle Facts
Waffles are pretty common these days, but there are a few fascinating facts about waffles.
So roll up your sleeves and get ready to learn some shocking facts about waffles that you might have never heard of.
- Nike’s first pair of snickers was inspired by waffles and was called waffle trainers. Nike used a waffle iron to create the sole of waffle trainers. Shocking right? We have more.
- Who doesn’t know about Waffle House? Did you know that it has sold almost 877 million waffles? Moreover, it has been recorded that it sells “145” waffles daily.
- What was the biggest waffle you have ever eaten? No matter how big it is, we bet it won’t be bigger than “World’s Largest Waffle,” which actually weighed 110 pounds and was 8 feet long.
- Patrick Bertoletti bet Joey Chestnut in the Waffle Eating Contest by eating 29 waffles in 10 minutes. And just in case you might be wondering, Joey’s record was 23 waffles in 10 minutes.
- Ever thought about how ice cream cones came into being? Well, that was when an ice cream vendor ran out of cups at the St. Louis World Fair. He asked for a waffle from his nearby vendor and then folded them to add ice cream inside them. Thus the first ice cream cones were made.
How to Celebrate Waffle Day?
The way you can celebrate Waffle Day is by eating waffles, obviously. But let us tell you how you can eat your waffles in a more interesting and unique way.
Below are a few of the yummiest waffle recipes that you can try to enhance the experience of your waffles to a whole new level.
- Pile up your waffles with sausage gravy and tender fried chicken.
- Ever tried eating Nutella breakfast waffles “Nachos”? If not, then try it now. Top your waffles with granola, strawberries, and almonds, and your tasty morning meal is ready.
- If you are Canadian, then you would definitely love S’Mores. But did you try S’Mores Waffles? You have missed out on such a great version of waffle, then. Just mix graham cracker crumbs in the waffle batter and top it with mini marshmallows and chocolate sauce.
- Love hash browns? Cook them in a waffle iron and enjoy some extra crispy hash browns.
- If you are not in the mood to cook but still want to celebrate Waffles Day, then you can go to your nearby waffle house and get some tasty waffles any time.
So, these are suggestions to make your waffle day memorable and delicious. You can also invite your friends and family member to come and join you in this celebration.
Why is waffle special in breakfast?
Waffle is a popular breakfast item that is available in a wide range of flavors and variations. It has become popular because it is easy to prepare and cooks quickly.
Usually, we prepare breakfast meals in a hurry, which makes waffles the perfect choice for this meal.
You can serve them hot or cold and make for a quick breakfast item – perfect for busy people on the go! So these are the few things that make waffles so special.
Moreover, Waffle has been around since early times. In ancient Greece, it was sometimes served with honey and cheese.
The Egyptians considered sweet waffles one of their delicacies – they would spread honey on top of them before eating.
Although there are many versions of waffle dishes, most people agree that a traditional version includes batter made from flour, eggs, milk, or buttermilk.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Are National Waffle Day and International Waffle Day the Same?
There are two types of waffle days. National waffle day is the day when it is celebrated in the United States.
International Waffle day is when Sweden and other European countries celebrate it.
Q2: When Are The National And International Day Celebrated?
Each year on 24 August, National Waffle Day is celebrated, and International Waffle Day falls on 25 March.
Q3: Who Made the First Waffle?
In the late 14th century, a husband put down a series of instructions for his young wife, which became the first famous waffle recipe.