National Tempura Day – January 7, 2023
Did you know that tempura is one of the most popular dishes in Japan? You might have seen some fried fish or chicken and think that it is tempura, but it is not.
National Tempura Day is a day for lovers of fried, battered Seafood, vegetables, and meat to breathe great fresh air.
If you like Japanese food, then this is the perfect way to celebrate it. And if you’re lucky, it might be an excellent time to eat some tempura in moderation.
Let me tell you more about tempura and its history; let’s celebrate this day together!
When is National Tempura Day 2023?
National Tempura Day is observed each year on January 7th. In Japan, tempura is typically served as an appetizer and consists of a variety of Seafood and vegetables, most commonly shrimp and green onion.
Importance of Tempura Day
It is also one of their national dishes, which is why it has been declared a national day; here is why it is essential;
- Tempura is a prevalent Japanese dish that has been around for hundreds of years.
- There’s nothing like biting into a piece of shrimp or other Seafood coated with crispy batter and deep-fried until golden brown. It’s like heaven on earth!
- You can use tempura as an appetizer, main course, or dessert! It’s also great to bring out the best seasonal ingredients and flavors without overworking them.
- There are many different types of tempura, but they all have a few things in common. They all have a light batter made from flour and eggs and deep fried in oil or vegetable oil.
- It’s a great way to try something new and different, especially if you’re looking for something light and healthy to eat that everyone will enjoy.
Reasons to Love Tempura Day
In honor of National Tempura Day, here are five reasons why you should celebrate this delicious dish:
- Tempura isn’t just for winter; it’s often enjoyed during summer because it’s light and airy. The great part about eating tempura? You can eat it hot or cold!
- If you’re looking for an easy dish that will impress your friends or family members at your next dinner party or gathering, then tempura is an excellent option!
- You can make tempura with any vegetable or meat you want, so there are tons of options available for how you want your meal to look and taste!
- The batter is made from flour and water, meaning it’s gluten-free, so people with celiac disease or similar digestive issues can still enjoy it without any problems!
- This dish is often served with soy sauce on the side, so it’s easy for everyone to customize their meal to their liking!
5 Ways to Celebrate the National Day of Tempura
Here are 5 ways you can celebrate Tempura Day:
1. Go Out For Dinner with Friends or Family
If you’re looking for somewhere to eat some delicious tempura, check out the list of restaurants serving some tasty treats!
You can also check out travel guides for Japan if you’d like more ideas about where to go in this beautiful country!
2. Make Your Own Tempura At Home
Many different types of tempura batter are available, including wheat flour (used in traditional Japanese tempura), potato starch, cornstarch, or even beer!
You can find these at your local Asian market or online.
3. Try a new recipe
There are dozens of recipes for tempura; each can be prepared differently.
You can make it at home or order it at a restaurant; either way, you will enjoy this delicious dish!
4. Share It With Your Friends Online
If you’re already on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, you can use them to share information about the National Day of Tempura.
You can post a status update, tweet about it, or even use the hashtag #NationalTempuraDay to let others know what you’re up to.
5. Watch Films That Feature Tempura Dishes
Tempura is known worldwide as one of Japan’s most popular dishes, so plenty of films prominently in their stories feature the delicacy.
Watching these films can be another way to endorse this special day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Who Invented Tempura?
Portuguese Catholic missionaries introduced the Western-style cooking technique of breading and frying meals to Japan during the Muromachi period in the 16th century. The history of Japanese tempura thus began.
Q2: Why Is Tempura Famous?
It is famous because of the abundance of Seafood. This ingredient has always been a key ingredient in Japanese cooking, and it’s no surprise that it’s featured heavily in tempura.
Q3: Is Japanese Tempura Healthy?
The main ingredients in tempura are vegetables and Seafood, which contain some nutrients. However, these foods are usually cooked in oil, which adds calories to the dish without adding any nutritional value.
So it’s unhealthy if you are eating them consistently.
This holiday is a great time to try tempura for the first time or to get more accustomed to the taste.
Try frying some seasonal vegetables next time you require a side, or maybe indulge in a new seafood dish.
The only rule with National Tempura Day is that you must enjoy your tempura, so we hope you all have an excellent year!