National Read a Book Day | September 6th, 2022
As National Read A Book Day is right about the corner (It is celebrated on the 6th of September), let’s gear up for this day.
Book reading is one of the healthiest habits you can adopt. There is also a national day dedicated to it to celebrate this great hobby.
Without any further, wait, let’s see what we need to know about books and this National Day.
When is the National Read a Book Day?
National Read a book day falls on the 6th of September, on an annual basis.
Who Celebrates this Day?
This day is celebrated to appreciate the book reading habit. The purpose is to throw away other tasks and bask in the glory of a great, exciting book.
It is celebrated by everyone all over the world, but it originated with Americans.
Fun Facts About Books
There are so many interesting facts about books. Curious to know them? We are, too. Let’s find out a few of them:
- Most Expensive Book in the World
The Codex Leicester is considered the most expensive book in the world, with a said price tag of over $53 Million.
Bill Gates bought the book in an auction for a whopping $30.8 Million in 1994.
- 20 Minutes a day Habit:
If you spend 20 minutes reading a book daily, At the end of the year, it will make one million eight hundred thousand words.
- The Best-Selling Book:
Bible is considered the best-selling book globally.
- The Most Extensive Private Book Collection:
A person named John Q. Benham is claimed to have 1.5 million books. As Guinness World Records stated, this is the most extensive book collection.
- Theodore Roosevelt:
The Ex-President of the United States used to finish a book per day. That is quite a speed!
- Hats off to the Writers:
It takes approximately 475 hours to write a novel. Yes, they invest this much time in writing novels for us.
- The Fragrance of the Old Books:
I know I am not the only one who does this.
Let’s just agree, we all love opening books and smelling their pages with our eyes closed, especially old books.
Bibliomania is a word that describes the feeling of desire to smell old books.
- 1 out of 5 cannot read:
1 in every 5 adults worldwide is illiterate. They cannot read (That’s sad, they are missing out a lot)
Similar Event: Library Lover’s Day
12 Benefits of Book Reading:
Reading books gives us delight and joy but do you know how beneficial they are for us? Reading books has a lot of advantages.
- Reduction in depression symptoms: Indeed, reading books can aid in reducing depression.
- Reading improves brain health: Reading gets your brain going, keeps you focused, and enables your mind to handle what’s going on around you.
- Increases your vocabulary: When you read a book, you learn at least 4 to 5 new words, so eventually, your vocabulary gets vast.
- A good night’s sleep: It is said that the sleep you get after reading a book is very tight and peaceful.
- Helps to avoid binge-watching: Sometimes binge-watching can be over extended, and as we know, excess of everything is not good, and reading books can help you get rid of this.
- Boosts your knowledge: We all know books are loaded with knowledge, and reading them can be an actual dose of wisdom for you.
- Prevents memory loss: When you read, your mind works hard to connect widely divergent ideas. According to research, this practice can help refine your memory.
- It also promotes compassion: Reading books. It even leads to the growth of morality.
- Reading books emerges your positive side: Reading books is a highly positive activity. It for sure brings out the positive elements in you.
- Reading helps you become a better writer: This is a very obvious factor, that it is nearly impossible to become a writer without reading many books. Reading books indeed enhances your ability to write as well.
- Broadens your perspectives: It gives you exposure and broadens your perspective about the different aspects of life.
- Makes you sharper and brighter: We have heard many times, and it’s true, that people who read books tend to be very sharp and intelligent.
You may also like to read:
- National Coffee Ice Cream Day (September 6, 2022)
- National First Love Day (September 18, 2022)
- World Vegetarian Day (October 1, 2022)
How to Celebrate National Read A Book Day?
Well, this day is all about book reading. It is about you spending time with your beloved books.
You can spend it by reading books or doing ant activity related to them.
Still don’t know how to celebrate it? No need to worry. We have several fun ideas for you.
You can do it with your partner or even with your best friend.
You can just sit together, holding hands and reading your own books. No talk and just reading with the sense of being together. Isn’t it romantic?
This is one of my favorite ways to celebrate this day.
A Book Discussing Party:
Are you an extrovert who loves reading? So here is an exciting idea for you to enjoy this national day.
You can gather your friend who loves reading books as much as you do.
You guys can discuss writers, facts about books, your favorite books and much more. You will learn a lot.
This sound really fun. Serve some perfect snacks and discuss-on!
Watch a Documentary:
There are many documentaries based on books and their history. Even there are biographies of writers as well. This can be interesting and informative.
Visit a Library:
Last but not least, you can visit your favorite library or any new library you want to explore. Discover your type of book and enjoy the day.
Coffee and Books:
Reading books is incomplete without a cup of coffee.
I am pretty sure you all can relate to this. While reading a book, coffee just hits differently, or while having a coffee book hits differently (Haha!)
So, on this day, just take your favorite book to your favorite coffee place and have a peaceful, delicious reading session.
Evolution of Books:
The Romans started producing the first “books” around the second or third century.
The ancient books were made of paper or papyrus. This stitched-together form of books is called; Cordex.
How did literacy rates increase; Books became less expensive and more widely available.
The printing press completely changed the way books were formed.
It made it possible to print a large number of copies of a book in a short period of time and at a lesser cost. This really gave a boost to the book world.
Then years later:
Michael S. Hart founded Project Gutenberg in 1971 and computerized the United States Declaration of Independence, which became the globe’s first eBook.
In today’s modern world:
The primary reason eBooks have surpassed physical books in popularity is their ease of use.
Anyone with an internet connection or a Kindle can access the eBook (Even in the dark)
But in my opinion, nothing can beat the feeling of holding a physical book and reading it.
As now we know, National Read A Book Day is celebrated all over the world on the 6th of September.
So, mark your calender, and decide how you will commemorate the book reading day
Books are just like precious gems. We must take care of them and value them. The facts about them are as attractive as they are.
However, just pick one of our ideas and celebrate this to your fullest.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Is reading beneficial for kids?
Children who read frequently improve their vocabulary and comprehension skills. They can build strong deep relationships with their dear ones and develop a lifetime passion for reading.
Q3: How many Books are published Annually?
Between 500,000 to 1,000,000 books are published each year.
Q4: Which library has the most books?
Established in 1800, the Library of Congress is considered to have the most books. It has around about 170 million books. Every reader wishes to visit it at least once in a lifetime.
Q5: What is the daily recommended time for reading?
To be regarded as an actual book reader, you should read for at least 60 minutes each day, without any sort of distractions.
Dates of National Read a Book Day