Having a rough and tiring day? No worries! Hug a friend and watch as all your worries and sadness melt away.
A hug is one of the simplest and most perfect ways of showing love and warmth to someone else. It has been proven by many studies that hugging someone lessens anxiety and makes you joyful.
It is quite interesting that a simple act of hugging can greatly impact your mood. So, on National Hugging Day, open your arms and let your loved ones know how much you adore them.
When is National Hugging Day?
National Day of Hugging is commemorated universally on January 21, 2023. The principal reason for this occasion is to acknowledge the significance of a hug and to express your emotions and love out in the open.
Kevin Zaborney originally observed this unique occasion in 1986, which developed into a well-known occasion because individuals liked the concept of hugging.
Kevin established it after seeing that people were unhappy on positive holidays like New Year, Valentine’s Day, and Christmas.
He noticed that Americans were frequently humiliated to show love in the open and wished he could change it by establishing this occasion.
The thought was to get more individuals to show their feelings openly and to become familiar with hugging.
Benefits of Hugging In a Relationship:
If you want to make your friendships or romantic relationships last longer, hug them! Let’s glance at a few benefits of hugging in a relationship:
- A basic hug from your friend or partner during special events makes the event even more joyful and imparts self-esteem.
- Getting hugged by a loved one lowers depression and shows support.
- Hugging your partner increases their oxytocin levels, decreasing anxiety, and loneliness.
- When you hug your partner, you assist them with sleeping better, as hugs decrease stress.
- It’s fantastic that hugging your friends and family can assist you with burning 12 calories.
- Hugging your partner shows them how much you love them and makes them happy.
- The oxytocin levels produced by hugging build confidence, trust, and feelings of intimacy.
What Are The Signs You Need A Hug:
On Hugging Day, let’s check out some signs when you need a hug:
- If you’re overeating, it’s a sign that you need a hug because overeating might be an approach to make up for feeling empty inside.
- Are you feeling stressed and anxious? It might be because you are deprived of affection and human touch, so hug someone to reduce stress.
- Many studies have proved that hugging helps you fight fear and loneliness, so if you’re feeling lonely, you need a hug.
- Touch deprivation can lead to feeling depressed and isolated, so if you’re depressed and isolated, take it as a sign and hug your friend.
- You need a hug if you feel left out and alone and think your friends don’t love you.
Reasons to Enjoy Hugging Day:
Does anyone even need a reason to love this unique and special event? Check out some reasons that make you love this occasion:
- This day recognizes the importance of giving and receiving hugs and encourages you to hug your family and friends.
- The feeling of a hug creates trust and a feeling that everything is safe and secure and assists in creating sincere relations with friends and family.
- Hugging releases oxytocin levels which assist in decreasing and fighting sadness and depression, and it also helps in lowering blood pressure.
- Studies have shown that hugging someone helps make deep emotional connections and is a good way of expressing affection to loved ones.
- Hugs are so powerful that even hugging a teddy bear helps in fighting fear and makes you feel happy.
Facts about Hugs:
Did you know that hugging lessens the chances of heart disease? Let’s check out some more facts about hugs:
- A big hug energizes your central nervous system and diminishes sensations of depression, fighting anxiety, boosting self-confidence, dispersing pressure, and lowering blood pressure.
- According to Psychotherapist Virginia Satir, we require 4 hugs every day for endurance, 8 hugs for support, and 12 hugs a day for development.
- Most individuals move forward with their right arm while going in for a hug.
- Researches show those children who aren’t embraced as frequently as others need additional time to learn abilities like strolling and speaking.
- Individuals who are denied human touch are, in many cases, more pressurized than others, influencing their physical and mental health.
5 Fun Ways to Celebrate National Day of Hugging
People praise and celebrate Hugging Day in many different ways. Check out some ways for you to have fun:
Try Hugging Yourself:
Being hugged by someone is one of the most incredible feelings and lifts your mood in a split second.
If there is no one around you to hug you, don’t worry! Hug yourself by folding your arms around your waist.
It might feel awkward and weird but don’t forget that you’re the main character of your life!
Hug Your Friend:
What better way to celebrate than by tightly hugging your friends?
Shut your eyes and ponder how much you adore and appreciate your friend while hugging them. Give your friend a tight and long hug and tell them that you will always be there for them no matter what!
Give A Stranger A Hug:
Step out of your comfort zone and hug a stranger. You can also carry a sign saying “free hugs” so that it doesn’t seem awkward and weird when you randomly hug a stranger on the street.
I’m sure the stranger will love your kind gesture, so don’t shy away and hug the stranger!
Try Different Hugs:
There are more than ten types of hugs, like hugging from the side, tightly, and many more. So, why not try different types of hugs at this event?
You can give hugs to your friends or partners while they are doing their usual tasks. Try out a cheek hug, as it is a sort of hug that expresses closeness while keeping distance.
Try Bear Hug on National Hugging Day:
A bear hug is one of my favorite hugs. It is a hug where you tightly hug your loved one and give them a little squeeze.
A bear hug is a good way of showing your loved ones how much you miss them and how much their presence makes you happy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Why hugging feels good?
Hugging releases a “love hormone” called oxytocin which makes you feel good.
Q2: Why are hugs powerful?
A hug releases oxytocin and lessens the stress hormone cortisol levels.
To wrap things up, whether you need a pick-me-up or want to express affection, hug someone and tell them how much you value them.
In this cruel world, hugging is a feeling that makes you feel like everything is fine and lets you forget about your troubles. Hugs help you say “you are important” without saying anything.
So, surprise your loved ones with a hug on National Hugging Day and tell them they are not alone.