With so much evolution in technology, people are now living sedentary lives. Sitting in front of the computer, TV, or using Mobile all day, they miss out on fresh air and exercise.
Well, it’s time to move your training paws because National Hiking Day is coming up! The day you’ll spend hiking with friends and family instead of spending it alone, stuck inside.
National Hiking Day, sometimes also called “Take a Hike Day,” is dedicated to hiking activities celebrated on November 17th of every year. This is a fantastic opportunity to get away from the city for a few days and reconnect with nature. You can explore beautiful parks or hike the mountains or trails.
When is the National Hiking Day?
National Hiking Day will be observed on November 17th, 2022.
A brief history about National Hiking Day:
Hiking for pleasure was a relatively new concept until the 20th century. America was primarily rural till around the mid-1800s, and people used to walk daily and were surrounded by beautiful nature.
Most people of that time were involved in outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, and farming. However, the invention of the steam engine, the telegraph, and railroads made life more convenient and made the cities grow rapidly. Many people started staying in cities due to work or schools.
As a result, people started losing their interest in hiking and started spending more time indoors. The crowded places started giving birth to new diseases, and there was a severe need for health and social reforms. Thus, hiking was encouraged to get people out of their homes.
25 Best Places for Hiking in the US:
In the United States, there are several magnificent national parks. They are great for hiking, and you can always find someone to join you.
The Appalachian Trail is my favorite hiking trail. It stretches from Maine to Georgia and is over 2200 miles long. It is a world-famous hiking trail. Other famous places include:
- Yosemite National Park
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Shenandoah National Park
- Yellowstone National Park
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Glacier National Park
- The Black Hills
- The Pinnacles
- The Blue Ridge Parkway
- The Oregon Coast
- The Colorado Trail
- The North Rim of the Grand Canyon
- The Pacific Crest Trail
- The Blue Ridge Parkway
- The Smoky Mountains
- The Great Smoky Mountains
- The Ozark Mountains
- Great Lakes, Minnesota
- The great Smoky Mountains
- Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge
- Cumberland Island National Seashore
- Mount Rainier
- Big Sur
5 Fun Facts about National Take a Hike Day:
The American Hiking Society (AHS) is one of the oldest national organizations for hiking and nature enthusiasts.
- The Appalachian Trail spans 14 states.
- Hiking is among the top 5 most popular outdoor activities in the US.
- More than 2 million people visit The Appalachian Trail annually.
- Hiking isn’t just about having the best boots or hiking poles available. You don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment. You don’t need special shoes, hiking poles, water purifiers, or headlamps. It’s all about attitude.
Benefits of Hiking:
Well, hiking has a lot of benefits, and we have listed some of them below.
1. Physical health:
Hiking can help you keep fit by burning calories, improving your cardiovascular system, increasing muscle mass, and helping you lose weight.
2. Mental health:
It is a great way to reduce stress. You get to enjoy beautiful places, see new things and talk to other people.
It’s an excellent method to meet folks you would not have met otherwise. You might make new friends or start an adventure with someone else.
It is a great way to connect with nature and with yourself. You’ll be able to reflect on issues or stressors that have been bothering you. Positively, it will help you feel closer to God and nature.
Hiking is fun. You can go on a hike for as long or as short as you wish. You can even try out new activities like rock climbing and camping. You can enjoy the outdoors with a group of friends. It’s like a whole new experience!
For many people, hiking is a fantastic hobby, but I feel that everyone should do it at least once.
How to celebrate National Hiking Day:
There are so many ways to enjoy this special day. Here are some of my suggestions.
- Start a campaign with your school or organization to promote hiking. Encourage your friends to go on a hike.
- You can also post #NationalHikingDay or #NationalTakeAHikeDay on Social Media and plan a hike with your friends.
- The Appalachian Trail is the most well-known hiking trail in the United States. You can enjoy some fantastic views while going through some of the most beautiful places in the US.
- Visiting national parks is a great way to celebrate National Hiking Day. You can hike the trails and take in the breath-taking landscape. You can also visit museums and learn about the history of the parks.
- If you like fishing, go out into the great outdoors and catch some trout. You can either do this by hiking in a stream or lake or by camping. Fishing is very relaxing and very enjoyable.
- If you are passionate about nature, then you should visit a wildlife preserve or a wildlife park.
- Visit national monuments, such as Mount Rushmore or the Lincoln Memorial. You will be able to learn more about our country’s history and meet new people.
National Hiking Day is an opportunity to remember and celebrate our beautiful planet Earth. You will be able to enjoy the beauty of nature, connect with nature, and feel good about yourself.
In the end, I hope that you have enjoyed reading this article. I wish you many happy adventures and have a great National Take a Hike Day! Let me know in the comment section how you are planning to celebrate this day.
Dates of National Hiking Day: