While the USA celebrates the arrival of summer with Memorial Day and Independence Day, some choose a different holiday to commemorate the transition from winter to spring.
Gumdrop candies have quite a history, and their popularity has not waned over the past few decades.
Why do we need a day to celebrate one of the tastiest candies? Well, you’ll learn more about this National Gumdrop Day as you read.
When is National Gumdrop Day 2023?
National Gumdrop Day is an event to enjoy gumdrops and other sugary treats. It is celebrated every year on February 15th. These are small, hard sweets with fruity flavors like cherry, lemon, and orange. They come in different colors, like red, green, and yellow.
The history of Gumdrop Day is an interesting one. A man named Percy Trusdale manufactured the candy in 1801.
Trusdale was the first person to use gum to make his candies. He created these candies because he believed that they were healthier than other types of candy at the time.
The gumdrop was first documented during the 1850s in George Julier’s shop. It is often colored with food coloring and may have added nuts or fruit.
These candies are commonly used as decorations on cakes, cookies, and cupcakes. They can also be used as decorations for Easter baskets or Christmas stockings.
Reasons to Love the National Day of Gumdrops
It’s a day where people are encouraged to give back to others by doing something nice for them, but with a twist: You can only do it with gumdrops!
Here are 7 reasons why we love this sweet holiday:
- All you have to do is show your appreciation for someone else and buy them a gumdrop. Or make one yourself if you’re crafty!
- It’s fun! Sure, some people might be annoyed by all the sticky messes it will leave behind, but think about all the smiles those gumdrops will bring to people’s faces.
- Sometimes, we all need a little sweetness in our lives, especially during these challenging times. So let’s share some sweetness this week by being kinder than usual and sharing some gumdrops with our friends and family.
- It’s a great way to promote oral health for children and adults.
- It helps support the fight against tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
- You can help raise money for a great cause while doing something good for yourself (and your family).
- It’s a great way to get some exercise in the winter months when walking is more complicated.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: When Was The Gumdrop Invented?
Gumdrops were created in 1801 by an English confectioner named Percy Trusdale.
Q2: Are Gumdrops Vegan?
Dots Original Gumdrops and Tropical Flavored Gumdrops are both vegans! PETA has confirmed this in some articles.
Fun Facts about Gumdrops
These candies are the perfect treat for this holiday because they’re colorful, chewy, and fun to eat! They come in all shapes and sizes, too, so there is something for everyone.
Here are some interesting facts about gumdrops:
- The earliest known reference to gumdrops was made in the 18th century.
- In the 19th century, gumdrops were mainly sold in pharmacies as a remedy for stomachaches and other ailments caused by poor diet or lack of exercise.
- Over the years, it has become one of America’s most popular candy days, especially with kids.
- Because of their gumdrop shape, the NASA Apollo Command Modules were given this moniker.
- Gumdrops are made from sugar, corn, water, and natural flavors. There are approximately 6 different types of gumdrops.
You might also love to read the following blogs about other similar events:
How to Rejoice on the National Day of Gumdrop?
There are many ways to enjoy this special Day, and we’ve put together a list of our top 5 ways to Rejoice on Gumdrop Day!
1. Eat As Many Gumdrops As You Want
No one will judge you for eating too many gumdrops on this Day. Eat as many gumdrops as your heart desires; they’re not good for you anyway.
2. Celebrate With Gumdrops
You can purchase them online at Amazon or in the store at Walmart and Target.
The latter also has a candy section with a massive variety of gumdrops, including some shaped like hearts and flowers.
3. Make Your Gumdrops At Home
This recipe from Tasty is super easy and doesn’t require unique ingredients or equipment. You can use any color of food coloring (or no food coloring) to make your candy more colorful or fun!
4. Make This Gumdrop Cake!
This looks so good! You could also make this into cupcakes by using cake mix and frosting instead of making the cake from scratch —make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly!
5. Share on Social Media
Take a selfie with your gumdrops or any other sweet treats you have on hand. Share it on social media using #NationalGumDropDay.
Hopefully, you can take advantage of these ideas to help make your National Gumdrop Day celebration, not just a memorable one.
Don’t worry too much about making mistakes; live in the moment and have fun.
It’s all about celebrating with friends and family and having a good time. As they say, the simple things in life matter most!