Fruitcake has been a culinary tradition since ancient times. The Egyptians were known to have made cakes with dried fruits and nuts.
The modern fruitcake has evolved into several styles depending on where it is made. Southern-style fruitcakes are typically dense and heavy but have a wonderful flavor.
Have you ever wondered about the importance of National Fruitcake Day? It’s not just an excuse to eat fruitcakes. Here are some interesting facts about National Fruitcake Day.
What is National Fruitcake Day 2022?
National Fruitcake Day is celebrated on December 27 every year. People enjoy this traditional cake that contains dried fruits, nuts, and spices.
Importance of Fruitcakes Day
The National Day of Fruitcake is an opportunity for people worldwide to celebrate all types of fruits.
There are such wide varieties of fruits available today that it’s hard to keep track! Here are a few things that you should know about this particular day;
- It is a day dedicated to the deliciousness that is fruit. It’s also a day to celebrate the health benefits of eating fruits and vegetables.
- Fruits are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They can also be a great way to increase your water intake!
- It is an occasion for people worldwide to enjoy their favorite fruits.
- Whether eating them raw or making fruit salads or smoothies, this day is an excellent opportunity to enjoy some tasty treats!
Reasons to Enjoy Fruitcake Day
We know what you’re thinking: Why celebrate fruitcakes? It’s a tasty holiday that gives us a reason to eat this delicious dessert.
Here are 5 reasons why you should celebrate National Day of Fruitcake:
- It’s an excuse to eat a slice of fruitcake and be healthy!
- You can try all the different fruitcakes and find your favorite ones!
- Fruitcakes are low in fat, sugar, and calories, making great snacks for those who want to lose weight or maintain their figure!
- You can make homemade fruitcakes instead of buying them from bakeries or grocery stores! Just use your favorite fruits and spices, and bake them in the oven until they’re golden brown on top!
- You don’t need unique ingredients to make a fruitcake, just some flour, eggs, butter, nuts, and raisins (or other dried fruits).
Interesting Facts about Fruitcakes
There are some things you might not know about fruitcakes. Here are 5 interesting facts that you may not have known about this tasty treat:
- The first fruitcake was made in the Roma century with multiple ingredients like raisins, pomegranate, and pine nuts mixed in barley mash. It was then baked over a long period to make it last longer.
- Fruitcake has been around for centuries and can be found in many different cultures.
- There is a lot of controversy over what makes the best fruitcake recipe and whether it should be served with cream cheese or whipped cream or missed with wine and rum.
- Fruitcakes are often given as holiday gifts because they keep well at room temperature for months or even years.
How to Celebrate the National Day of Fruitcakes?
Fruitcakes are a traditional holiday dessert that can be enjoyed year-round. Here are 5 ways to celebrate this Day:
1. Make a Fruitcake
If you’re going to make a fruitcake, make it from scratch. Use fresh fruits and nuts when available and high-quality dried fruits.
The more expensive the ingredients, the better your fruitcake will be!
2. Share with Others
Make sure you share your fruitcakes with friends and family who appreciate them as much as you do!
If you don’t have any takers from the first group, ask around at work or school and see if anybody else wants some of your homemade goodness!
3. Give a Gift of a Fruitcake
This is an easy way to spread joy by giving someone something they wouldn’t usually buy for themselves but would enjoy nonetheless.
You can also give away slices of fruitcake at work or school and watch people enjoy every bite!
4. Talk about It on Social Media
If you’re unsure what to say about fruitcakes on social media, why not just share some pictures with the hashtag #NationalFruitCakeDay?
After all, plenty of delicious varieties out there look great in photos! Just make sure your friends know that this is all good fun before they get offended by your post!
5. Be Thankful For Fruitcake
There’s no denying that fruitcake gets a bad rap, but millions worldwide still love it.
So on this particular day, take some time to be thankful for fruitcake, especially if it came from Grandma or Grandpa!
Hopefully, you enjoyed reading these facts about fruitcakes. Now be sure to get out there searching for an excellent fruitcake recipe and enjoy making it just as much as you enjoy eating it.
Overall, Americans love fruitcakes, which can be attributed to the multitude of ways people enjoy fruitcakes.