National Candy Corn Day – October 30, 2022
Candy Corn is the iconic Halloween candy. It’s a sweet delight that you either love or despise, but it’s been around for a long time, and one can safely bet that candy corn isn’t going away for years.
Due to its popularity, a special day is dedicated to it; National Candy Corn Day.
When is the National Candy Corn Day:
The 30th of October is marked as National Candy Corn Day. Here in the USA, people love this day as much as they love this candy.
Fun facts About Candy Corn:
This classic candy has many interesting Did-you-know facts. Let’s have a look:
- Every candy corn kernel has a different appearance, similar to a snowflake.
- As per NCA, over 35 million pounds of Candy Corn, or approximately 9 billion kernels, are purchased yearly.
- Packaged Candy Corn has a storage life of almost 9 months if sealed.
- Every kernel of candy corn contains just 7. As far as you limit yourself to less than 14 candies, you can relish them as a flavorful, low-calorie sweet treat. But even so, they are high in sugar, making them inappropriate for weight management.
- The candy corn slurry is pumped in 3 parts to achieve the strip pattern. They start with white, then move on to yellow and orange. The candies are then finalized with confectioner’s gloss varnish to give them their distinct shine.
History of Candy Corn:
We just found out that Candy Corn has some history attached to it. Let’s find it out;
Candy corn has been around for over a century. As per folklore, George Renninger, an employee of the Wunderle Candy Company, came up with the idea for candy corn in the 1880s.
Candy corn initially emerged in the USA when it was still primarily an agricultural nation, and its multi-color concept was considered innovative at the time.
Due to the absence of efficient equipment, candy corn was only produced annually, most probably beginning at the start of September and proceeding till October.
Also, every kernel is now made by automatic machines. However, the initial candies were blended and shaped by hand in the 1880s.
Laborers would heat the batter in a big pot before pouring it into kernel-shaped containers.
- National Deviled Egg Day (November 2, 2022)
How to Celebrate Candy Corn Day:
We have brought some fun ideas for you:
Try Making it at Home:
You must have eaten commercial readymade Candy corn throughout your life. But how about changing the way this time on Candy Corn Day? Try making it at Home.
The art of creating candy corn at Home is unexpectedly quite easy and not complicated at all.
There are no unintelligible additives or expensive chrome-plated materials needed. It just requires dedication. Oops, some ingredients too!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cups milk powder
- six tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons of water
- a quarter teaspoon of salt
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp simplified coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Food coloring blends in yellow and red
- Merge granulated sugar and dry milk in a mixing bowl. Mix granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water in a pan. Warm till the sugar has started melting.
- Cook until the blend reaches 110°C; do not stir it for 3 minutes. Turn off the fire and stir in the vanilla and dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Give almost 10 minutes to cool off.
- Apply cook spray to your hands on a balanced surface. Divide the dough into 3 equal measures.
- One piece of dough should be leveled, and several droplets of yellow food dye should be added. Continue kneading the dough until the color is spread evenly.
- Repeat with the second portion, but this time add a little red food dye along with the yellow and knead till the orange color is spread evenly.
- Roll each dough piece into a 134 cm cylinder, using more cooking spray as necessary.
- Place the yellow rope first, then the orange rope, and finally the white rope on top of the orange rope. Connect the ropes by pressing them together.
- Set aside a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Trim a 4 cm section of the multi-colored rope with a bench scraper.
- Extend the rope section until it’s about massively increased in length, then hold down so the 3 equal-sized streaks of yellow, orange, and white parallel one another.
- Cut 1/2-inch sections with the bench scraper, then cut each portion in half diagonal direction. Place the candy corn triangles on the lined baking sheet.
- If any of the triangles are malformed, squeeze each triangle further into the correct shape with your fingertips.
- Allow candies to settle out for 1 to 2 days, exposed, till the outside has a little solidified.
Stock-up With Candy Corn:
We know that the National day for Candy Corn brings a treasure chest of special offers on specific products.
Surely on this national day, there will be a discount on candy corn packs.
So, who is careless enough to overlook those? Take advantage of the discount on your favorite confections.
Binge Watch and Candy Corn All the Way:
Here is the most relaxing one. To spend this day, binge, watch your favorite series, and snack with candy corn. When we say snack up with candy corn, we mean have lots of it.
This will surely give such a happy vibe! Don’t forget to floss later on.
Well, we don’t know about you, but we already crave some candy corn. No worries, as the National Candy Corn Day (30th of October), is just around the corner.
Do try our ideas, especially the recipe.
Dates of National Candy Corn Day