National Authors Day – November 1st, 2022
Books form the perfect link between a reader’s mind and a character’s experience. But at the back end, the authors curate this cross-dimensional link.
You might even conflict with the plot at some points, especially if you were Team Jacob!
But Edward would not compete with Jacob if Stephennie Meyer did not craft them.
So let us celebrate our favorite authors on National Author’s Day. Buckle up!
When is National Authors Day?
On November 1st, millions around the globe celebrate National Authors Day to pay homage to their beloved authors.
Some stories are just evergreen, whether it is JK Rowling or Arthur Conan Doyle.
Author’s Day History
Technology has narrowed down the lines of communication in today’s world. However, 70 years ago, communicating with an author was uncommon.
In the 1900s, when morale was low during the First World War, a bedridden woman wrote to Irving Bacheller.
To her surprise, he received her letter with gratitude and wrote back.
Nellie Verne Burt McPherson was so moved that she presented the notion of Author’s Day to the Illinois Woman’s Club in 1928.
It was not until 20 years had passed that the idea was accepted.
9 Interesting Facts about Authors
Here are a few facts about famous authors from different eras:
- JK Rowling’s rags to riches story are heart-touching. But did you know that JK Rowling’s first set of Harry Potter manuscripts was rejected 12 times?
- The Dementors from the Harry Potter series are products of the author’s battle with clinical depression.
- This was around when Rowling had little to provide for her daughter while she was trapped in her unhappy marriage.
- E.L. James’s Fifty Shades of Grey had readers fawning over the characters.
- A lot could have been lost during Shakespeare’s career had his friends, John Heminges and Henry Condell, not published it.
- Shakespeare switched from plays to sonnets due to the outbreak of the Black Plague. The rat infestations eventually closed theatres, where Shakespearean literature was brought to life.
- JK Rowling’s billionaire status is remarkable to many. While she did amass a wealth of $1 billion.
- One of the pioneers of Victorian Literature, George Elliot, wrote under a different pen name.
- While it is common for authors to adopt pen names, Elliot adopted a male name. Mary Ann Evan wrote as George Elliot.
How to Celebrate National Day of Authors
Here are a few ways you can celebrate National Authors Day.
Re-read an Old Book
If reading is equivalent to a rollercoaster ride, re-reading an old book may give you a new perspective on the plot.
The authors are fond of foreshadowing in the initial chapters.
Donate a Book
Sharing the magic only makes things better. So, donate your copy of The Great Gatsby so that the escapade could enthrall some young minds.
Avail Ongoing Author’s Day Discounts
Stores like Starbucks or Walmart occasionally reward customers by slashing prices on certain days. So, make sure you do not miss out!
Share Your Work with a Friend
If your author inspired you to write a piece of your own, let your friend be the judge.
Be it a 20-chapter fantasy novel you abandoned or a fanfiction on Wattpad that you wrote at 14!
It is nice to share a laugh and see how much you have grown.
Post on Social Media
Post a picture of your favorite book with #NationalAuthorsDay. Make sure to tag your favorite author.
If you have a public page, write a few sentences about what the book means to you.
DM Your Favorite Author!
Occasionally, a tweet or two comes up where idols reply to their fans.
So, pour your heart out in a long paragraph or a brief one. It just might be your lucky day!
Reasons to Love National Authors Day
Want to know why should you celebrate Author’s Day? Here’s why!
Authors Inspire Minds
Good ideas shape good personalities. Authors who teach family values, generosity, and self-awareness do a favor to many readers.
Stories are Carried Down Generations
Many fables and tales are passed down to generations. So, showing appreciation for the author ultimately suggests their capability.
Helps You Discover New Authors
Greater activity on fan-operated forums expands different book readers to works of the author in a different genre.
So, if you did not like Macbeth, you might like Julius Caesar.
Author’s Morale is Heightened
Occasionally, authors lurk across fan pages and love to read the comments you leave.
For this reason, you should compliment your writer and motivate them.
If you have not celebrated this day yet, make a move. Mark your calendar for 2022 on November 1st as a reminder for National Author’s Day.
You can read popular and lesser-known works of your authors. You can also recommend your friend good reads.
So do not forget to share your thoughts on social media with #Author’sDay.
Dates of Authors Day