One of the most interesting countries in East Asia is Mongolia. This landlocked country is known for its history and rich culture.
Mongolia refers to the Mongol Empire built by Genghis Khan during the 13th century.
Mongolia announced its independence in the early 20th century and remained an independent country.
The country’s people are kind-hearted and love celebrating patriotic events, especially on Independence Day.
It is an occasion for great celebration across the country. So, let’s learn more about the country’s history and Mongolia Independence Day.
When is Mongolia Independence Day 2022?
The National Day of Mongolia falls 29th of December. It is a special day for Mongols as they celebrate it with great energy.
This is a much-awaited national holiday with tons of events and activities for Mongols to take part in.
Interesting Facts about Mongolia
There are many interesting things about Mongolia you may not know. Here are some of them.
- Mongolia has around 5 million horses, and horse racing is one of the most popular sports in the country.
- The statue of Genghis Khan stands over 130 feet tall and is one of the biggest statues in history.
- The Gobi desert is located in the southern part of the country and goes into the northern territory of China. It is one of the top 5 largest deserts in the world.
- It is more sparsely populated than any other country in Asia.
- The Naadam festival takes place every summer, and people from across the country participate in sports and activities.
- Fossils from the Gobi Desert proved that dinosaurs heavily populated the region.
- Mongolia is home to the Bacterian Camel. This is a famous species of camel, noticeable by the two humps on its back.
You may also love to read:
History of Mongolia Day
By the end of the 17th century, Mongols living in the region were offered protection by the Qing Dynasty.
When the Chinese revolution overthrew the Qing dynasty, the Mongols realized a conflict of interest with the Chinese. This led to Mongolia being announced as an independent state in 1911.
However, the Chinese government took the capital by force and disbanded the Mongol government.
The Chinese control over Mongolia didn’t last very long as the Russians aided the Mongols during their revolution, and Mongolia officially announced independence in 1921 for the second time.
It was then recognized as an independent state globally.
Mongolia Day Importance
Mongolia Independence Day is of great importance to the people living there. Here’s why.
- The National Day of Mongolia represents the Mongolian struggle for freedom.
- Mongols were once a part of a powerful empire, but since they came under the Qing Dynasty, the region never really had freedom until its independence.
- Mongolia Day shows appreciation for this country’s rich history and culture. It is well known that Mongolia’s history goes back many centuries. Celebrating the national day means remembering this past.
- This day raises awareness amongst Mongolian children and makes them realize their ancestors’ struggle to ensure their freedom.
- For Mongols, the struggle for independence is a source of great pride. The celebration on independence day commemorates the historical events that led to Mongolia.
4 Fun Ways to Observe Mongolia National Day
Here’s how you can observe the National Day of Mongolia and enjoy this national holiday.
Participate In Cultural Events
Mongolia is a country where culture’s importance is known to everyone. Hence people love to celebrate independence day with cultural events.
You can participate in one of these events, observe national Paredes, or watch a firework show during the national holiday.
Buy a Flag
This is a simple and effective way to show your love for Mongolia. You can purchase a Mongolian flag and raise it on the balcony to show your patriotism and love for the people around you.
It is a great way to show appreciation for the freedom you have in Mongolia.
Post Mongolia Day on Social Media
Social media has bridged the gap between friends and family and is a great way to share your feelings on a special day, especially your love for Mongolia.
You can post a picture on social media and express your positive feelings for Mongolia in the caption. Be sure to add the hashtag #MongoliaDay at the end.
Raise Awareness Amongst Children
Last but not least, you can use independence day to teach your children about the history and culture of Mongolia.
Many children in Mongolia and worldwide do not take great interest in their country’s history.
However, it is important to make them understand the struggles of the previous generations. Mongolia Independence Day is the perfect opportunity for you.
It is well known that Mongolia is a land rich in history and culture. While it is still a developing country with plenty of nomadic life, there was freedom for the Mongols.
The struggle for independence in 1911 and 1921 will be remembered, and every Mongolian will celebrate the national day with great enthusiasm.
After all, Mongolia Independence Day is a special day that fills their heart with joy and pride.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mongolia
Here are some common questions about Mongolia answered for you.
Q1: Why Are Horses So Popular In Mongolia?
Horses are an essential part of Mongolian culture as they have been used for travel for centuries. The Mongolian horse population is greater than the total population of the country.
Q2: Do Nomads Of Mongolia Still Exist?
Mongolia is home to nomadic life; many people here still live as nomads and travel throughout the vast lands for food and shelter.
Q3: How Many People Live In Mongolia?
Mongolia is home to approximately 3.2 million people. Most follow Buddism and either live an urban life in the capital or a nomadic life in the wild.
Q4: Is Mongolia Safe To Visit?
Mongolia is a relatively safe place to visit for tourists around the world. Almost half the population lives in the capital, a developed region that can accommodate visitors.