Rising inflation and increasing demands have pushed many people across the poverty line. It is an era where many individuals struggle every day.
In these demanding times, it is essential that we, as human beings, aid our brothers and sisters. To signify the act of charity and help, the National day of giving was founded.
This holiday is celebrated worldwide by assisting those in need and celebrating the idealogy of giving.
When is the Day of Giving?
The Day of Giving is held the following Tuesday after the Thanksgiving holiday & is called Giving Tuesday. This year it will be celebrated on November 29, 2022
The National Giving Day is a unique holiday that has no fixed dates. The celebration date may change yearly and depends on Thanksgiving that year.
History of National Giving Day
During the fall season in 2012, Ney York’s 92nd Street Y collaborated with the United Nations Foundation to commemorate the act of giving.
2 Years late, the Giving Foundation created an app to ease the process of charity and make it convenient for participants around the world.
However, the movement started to grow exponentially in 2017 after Bill Gates’s foundation announced $2 million in matching for donations on Facebook.
The following year, National giving day saw accumulated funds of $400 million, and the movement grew even more with millions of people participating.
Facts about Donations and Giving Tuesday
Here are some interesting things we bet you didn’t know about donations and National Giving Day.
- Every passing year sees more donations than the previous one. This shows that more and more people realize the importance of giving back to society.
- While December usually has most people donating due to Christmas, donated amounts are still higher in November due to Thanksgiving and Giving Day.
- A vast majority of donors select a non-profit organization for their Giving Tuesday donations. Often, this decision is based on whether they know the organization or not.
- Many people also donate their Giving day amounts to charities recommended by friends or family members.
- Millions of people who cannot donate money on Giving day contribute in the form of gifts or by volunteering for fundraisers.
- Giving day was founded in the US but is now celebrated across the world, raising more money than ever.
- You can also set your National giving day payments as automated donations made on your behalf every year in case you forget the day.
- In 2017, over 1 million participants used #GivingTuesday on different social media platforms to raise awareness around the world.
- Cryptocurrency can also be used to give donations on the National Day of Giving.
Creative Ideas to Celebrate Day of Giving?
Giving day isn’t just about donating money. While it is essential to help monetarily, you can do many more things to help the cause move forward.
Let’s take a look at how you can celebrate the day.
Raise Awareness regarding the Day of Giving
This is extremely important if we want the giving movement to continue for years to come.
To celebrate Giving day, you can raise awareness by talking to your friends and families about donations and the causes you believe in.
Running a small campaign on social media platform is also a great way to raise awareness about giving back to society.
Donate To a Charity of Your Choice
Donating to charities or non-profit organizations is extremely important as many organizations aim to solve humanitarian problems with the accumulated amount.
We can all do our part to make this world a better place, and this can be considered as doing that.
In case you are unable to give monetary assistance, there are always gifts for you to share. These gifts can be things you own but no longer need.
Lastly, you can also free give away a class or teach others. If you have any skill, this is another act of charity you can do, especially if you cannot pitch in financially.
Volunteer for Fundraisers
Many fundraising charities or non-profit organizations need volunteers to help organize fundraising events.
Sometimes, the events are pretty big and require a large backend team to pull off. You can be a part of this team on Giving day and help the movement go forward.
Help With Community Work
Community service is basically work or labor that an individual does for the greater good and betterment of society.
There are many kinds of community work, such as cleaning an elderly neighbor’s home or your nearby park.
You can go for something you might enjoy and make your National day of giving memorable.
Reasons to Love National Giving Day
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why we all love Giving Day.
- Contributing to a charity on this event will make you feel better and put you in a happier mood.
- Celebrating the day gives a sense of satisfaction and hope for the betterment of our society.
- Contributing to the Giving Tuesday movement will strengthen your moral values.
- It improves our relationship with other human beings as giving to others can make them feel valued and loved.
- Celebrating Giving Tuesday influences future generations regarding the importance of charity.
- The holiday also encourages others to start giving back to society in whatever capacity they feel comfortable with.
- This day symbolizes our love and respect towards the needy and creates an opportunity for us to help them.
Undoubtedly, giving and contributing back to society is a great thing to do. It is a morally ethical way to help the causes you believe in.
Whether it’s monetary donations, raising awareness, or voluntary work, participating in and celebrating the Day of Giving can be pleasing and satisfactory.
We must keep celebrating this holiday every year after Thanksgiving and maintain the importance of helping society.